Often, simple is best, This video demonstrates a few of the most common, simple methods for creating a portfolio area. First, create one or more portfolio galleries in “Galleries > All Galleries”. Then do one or more of the following steps.
- Create a menu link to your single portfolio gallery
- Create a dropdown menu item linking to galleries feature different types of photography
- Create a portfolio page. Put a galleries grid into that page to link to your galleries. Link to that page from a menu item.
Portfolio Options: Simple (galleries)
When linking directly to gallery pages, as suggested in “Simple” above, the WordPress content area can only show the gallery. This displays in concert with whatever widgets are in the default template assigned to gallery pages. But what if you want to add more to the content of your portfolio gallery pages? This is still quite easy to do, but requires a different setup. First, create portfolio galleries in “Galleries > All Galleries” then follow some or all of the following steps.
- Create a new WordPress page for each portfolio gallery. Do this in “Pages > Add new”. Insert galleries into corresponding pages. For example, you might have a “weddings” gallery that you insert into a page named “weddings.”
- Add a bit more content to the page in the page editor. This could be a grid, text, images or even another gallery.
- Create menu links to these pages.
- You may want to create a separate portfolio page. Into this page insert a “select posts/pages” grid. In that grid select the new portfolio pages you just made. Link to this page from a menu item.
- Add a new block in your home page template into which you add this same select posts/pages grid widget.
Portfolio Options: Easy (pages)
Your most powerful tool for building unique layouts is templates. So if you want to build a really cool looking portfolio page, you may want to develop a template for that page. This adds another layer to the “Simple” and “Easy” options. Again, before you do anything you need to create one or more portfolio galleries in “Galleries > All Galleries”.
- Create a child template to be assigned to a custom portfolio page.
- Apply this template to a galleries page created in “Pages > Add new”. Hide the title and content.
- Edit the template in “ProPhoto > Customizer > Layout”. You’ll likely add one or more gallery widgets or link to individual galleries with a grid widget.
- Link to this page from the menu or a graphics widget.
Portfolio Options: Intermediate (Template)
The most involved method of creating a portfolio area is to create a custom template for each genre of photography. This gives you access to the layout options of templates for each page. It takes more work, but gives you the most flexibility.
- Create child templates to be assigned to each custom portfolio page you will create
- Create a page for each gallery. Hide the title and content. Assign the templates to the pages. . Build out the template as you like. Link to these pages from your menu or a grid or one or more graphics widgets.
- Create a unique tile that you will use to link to each gallery. Connect these tiles via a graphics widget in a galleries template and/or or in the home page template. Paste in the link to each gallery page.